Sunday, July 6, 2014

DIY Crate Bookshelf




Sometimes you just need a project. When it's functional, even better. I loved the idea of a crate shelving unit, so I endeavored to make my own. It definitely serves a purpose in my office right now, but I can see this being used in a bathroom or anywhere! 
 
The whole thing cost less than $30, as all I needed to buy was the crates and castor wheels (the rest I had from other projects). 

I used these too (wood glue not pictured! Sorry).
 
And 4 of these if you want wheels.



  • I started by sanding the crates down to remove the rough edges.
  • Then I applied wood glue along every board that was touching. I didn't have any clamps, but the weight of the crates, one stacked upon the other, seemed to do the trick. TIP: IMMEDIATELY clean up the glue if any drips off, because stain will not stick to dried glue!
  • I nailed finishing nails on an angle to help adhere the crates together. I'm not sure if this was really necessary, but it made me feel better.
 At this point, this is what it looked like:


  • Apply the stain. I used 1 coat only. Let it dry.
  • Apply the white paint using a dry brush. TIP: This took a lot of work. There were definitely some oops moments, but since I was going for the really distressed beach look, I didn't mind. Sand down the spots that need more distressing.
  • Apply the polycrylic coat. (I didn't want the yellowing effect of polyurethane). I did this 3 times. While I used the spray can, I bet the liter version in can would be just as nice. 
  • Adhere the castor wheels. (Sorry, no picture of this. You will need screws and a drill for installing the wheels). 


And done!!


2 comments:

  1. ooh where did you buy the unfinished crates?! LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! I got my unfinished crates at Joann's Fabrics (with coupons!), but I've seen them at Michaels, Hobby Lobby, and even Walmart,

      Delete